Sunday, July 13, 2008

The American Dream translated

At last, an afternoon to sit back and reflect on the time spent here! After five days of observing, experiencing, and reflecting, one thought keeps popping into my head:

China is remarkably similar to the US.

I have witnessed obvious cultural differences, have had trouble communicating, have been laughed at for doing things wrong, have been misquoted by a Chinese newspaper, have seen people behave in ways Americans rarely behave, and have observed traditions I cannot wait to adopt at home. Either in spite of or because of these experiences and observations, I succumb to the overwhelming feeling that the attitudes, values, and goals of the Chinese run parallel to those of the Americans.

The Chinese I have interacted with thus far take pride in their country and want others to "love China," as one Olympic organizer encouraged. But pride does not blind them. They recognize their country's flaws and want them to improve. One Chinese journalist I spoke with, Zheng Lu of China Daily, expressed appreciation for time she spent working in Canada. She said someday she hoped to move there. The people here do not fear change, even if their government favors tradition. They relish a chance for self and cultural improvement.

The driving goal of the Chinese seems to be to do better for themselves, their families, and their country. Is this not also the American dream?

2 comments:

I'm Cas. said...

So, I was watching the History Channel and this show about the history of tattoos was on.

If anyone should decide to get a tattoo done in the ancient Chinese tradition, please insist that they seriously consider heavy painkillers first. And second. And third.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure the American dream is more along the lines of going to a (foreign) golden land of opportunity, where you grow successful through hard work and perseverance. I'd start a rant about how dead the dream is, but I'd probably soil myself from the sheer weight of the cynicism.