Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic spirit in the form of photos, Fuwas and an Australian cyclist

Ahh, Wangfujing plaza at rush hour: crowds of tourists hustling to snap pictures of Olympic decorations, media members grabbing Western visitors for interviews, Beijingers doing the same for their personal photo collections, children begging their parents for stuffed Fuwas, sweaty/excited/exhausted people from all over the world smushing into cramped subway trains.

There is nothing like the Olympic spirit to make you feel alive!!! And today I felt the Olympic spirit like never before.

The highlight of my day was interviewing Australian cyclist Katie Mactier. Katie will race in the individual pursuit, starting Aug. 16, against fierce competitors like Rebecca Romero (GBR), who I mentioned a few posts ago, and the USA's Sarah Hammer. After hours of training, a television interview with Australian Channel 7 and a lengthy sit-down interview with another Australian media outlet, Katie chatted with me and an Associated Press reporter in the Velodrome. How she maintained such a energetic vibe and positive attitude toward dealing with the media, I have no idea. Maybe it has to do with her motto, "Good things happen to good people." Maybe her upcoming wedding to cycling world champion Greg Henderson (AUS) boosted her mood. Or maybe knowing that some publications list her as a favorite to win gold in the individual pursuit adds to her happy disposition. Whatever the case, interviewing Katie tops my list of exciting Velodrome events.


Mactier and teammate and friend Kate Bates

My post-workday dinner brought me, Chad and Phil (my FQR partners) to Wafujing plaza, where I witnessed the chaos and excitement I described in the first paragraph. I haven't ventured through the city much in the last week, as work's kept me too busy for sightseeing. Walking through the crowds today and watching people look in awe at billboards, shops, decorations and the wild assortment of people around them opened my eyes even more to the uniting power of the Olympics.

I can't wait to watch firsthand the progression of these special Olympic Games.

No comments: