Monday, August 4, 2008

Extra American, hold the cheers

Mmm, Snickers and Doritos and Kerouac's On the Road. I'm feeling extra American today. You know what else makes me feel extra American? The arrival of other foreigners to Beijing. The athletes have come! I missed seeing the Colombian cyclists circle the track this morning, but did witness their camera crew exit the Bicycle Cluster. Later I had a chance to chat with a few members and coaches of the Russian team. They asked me how to find the Athlete's Stand in the Velodrome. I said I had no idea. They asked if I instead knew how to make coffee. AH, HAH!!...... hah? I also saw an athlete and a coach (I presume) in Netherlands' garb shopping for specialty foods.

Where before I simply felt Caucasian in a city of Asians, I now feel distinctly American. With the surge of incoming athletes comes a surge in my national pride. I love China, I love the people from other countries I have met here, and I'm thrilled by the idea of meeting cyclists from all over the world (it's happening tomorrow, woo!!). But when the competition heats up and the races start, I'll be cheering, "U-S-A, U-S-A!!!" (if only, because I am a journalist, loudly in my head).


No comments: